5 Ways To Get More Orders From Existing Customers
A great deal of research proves what common sense tells us: Retaining an existing customer is far more cost-effective than finding a new one. However, we often overlook the fact that satisfied customers can also be a potent source of additional business. That’s why marketing to your current customers should be at the forefront of your selling efforts.
Here are 5 proven ways to leverage your customer relationships to bring in more orders:
- Check In. Obviously, the first step is to make sure your customer is satisfied with your services. If you’re not already doing so, get in touch with your customers on a regular basis to ask simple questions such as, “How are we doing?” “Are we meeting your expectations?” “Is there anything we can do better?” This show of interest goes a long way toward keeping the customer engaged, and if you find out that everything isn’t going smoothly, it gives you the opportunity to make it right.
- Contact with purpose. We’re all busy, so don’t bother your customer with a communication that has no purpose. In addition to checking on customer satisfaction, you can let the customer know of some new capability, technology or methodology that you offer. This may open the door to bidding on additional parts or adding a process to a part you currently make for them, which can save them additional time and money.
- Seek referrals. If I’m satisfied with your work, why wouldn’t I refer you to someone I know who could also benefit from working with you? It would be nice if our customers sang our praises spontaneously, but in the real world when you’re out of sight you are, truly, out of mind. Asking your customers for the favor of a referral or testimonial quote gives you another chance to make contact and stay on their radar. You may also want to consider some sort of appreciation/incentive program in which you reward customers for referrals. The reward could be as simple as taking the customer out to lunch or dinner, or sending a “thank you” gift basket.
- Get personal. Everybody likes to be recognized for special moments. If your customer’s business receives an award, expands their facility or wins a new client, sending a hand written note of congratulations demonstrates your interest beyond fulfilling an order. Likewise, sending a card or message about a significant personal event, such as a birthday or anniversary, shows that you care about the person as well as the business relationship.
- Enhance the customer’s experience. In your ongoing effort to improve your processes, identify actions that benefit the customer, such as incorporating new technology that improves delivery times, and let them know you are always looking for ways to serve them better. Gosiger can help you with your continuous process improvements with the latest equipment and engineering assistance.