Why Robotic Automation?
Here are the top 7 reasons to consider robotic automation from Gosiger to improve your manufacturing productivity, performance and part or product quality:
- Productivity: Are you getting maximum usage of your CNC machine tools? Here’s a simple test: Divide cycle time into available machine time and then compare this number to your actual production results. If you’d like to lessen the gap between these two numbers, consider robotic automation. It can typically improve productivity by 30% or more. Here’s how:
- Robots don’t hesitate, take breaks, tend to other matters or take sick days. On demand they load and unload workpieces repeatedly for every cycle.
- A CNC machine can make parts while the robot loads another machine.
- The system can perform inspection, tooling exchange or changeovers, and material handling all while a second machine makes more parts.
- Repeatability: Robots load each part exactly the same way, every time to produce consistent production quality and quantity day-after-day. To take full advantage of robotic automation, the machining process should be designed to eliminate irregularities and inconsistencies that would require the operator to intervene. If you need assistance refining your process, we can call in the experienced applications specialists in our Engineered Systems Division.
- Reliability: Much like your CNC control that is likely the most reliable component of your machine tool, an industrial robot is a highly reliable, 6-axis, CNC part handling machine, that does precisely what you program it to do, time after time.
- Flexibility: Part specifications change, new part orders come in and, because your robotic automation works so efficiently, you have additional capacity to make new parts or expand part families. In all of these situations your robot can easily be reprogrammed and/or retooled to take on these new tasks. Although many machine tools offer Cartesian-style automation for narrowly defined tasks, industrial robots with multi-axis, articulated design and high performance control systems, offer the same high level of performance over a broader range of applications.
- Easy Programmability: You don’t need special expertise to program robots in a Gosiger Automation system because we don’t mask the robot control with a proprietary front-end interface. Instead we empower your team to easily create new part programs that maintain consistency and continuity. The thorough program documentation we provide is easy to understand and use, and if you prefer to create new programs you don’t need to purchase and learn additional software. In addition, you can use our programs as templates.
- Maintainability: Every Gosiger robotic automation system is comprehensibly documented as installed so we can provide lifetime support. We not only supply this documentation to the user, we also maintain it on our corporate server so it is available when needed. Because we back up all robot and PLC programs, we can quickly restore the system to “as installed” condition. We supply mechanical and electrical documentation with purchased component bills of material that include manufacturer names, part descriptions and part numbers. Detailed drawings of parts that Gosiger custom manufactures can be used to make replacement parts or as a starting point for new designs. We also empower customers to support their systems through local outlets of nationally distributed product lines like Allen Bradley, Siemens and others.
- Robotic Automation vs. CNC Machine OEM Standard Automation: Many machine tool builders offer fully integrated automation packages for their machines. The issue with these packages is that they are often designed with non-standard, custom components specific to the machine tool brand, or with other components not readily available, which can affect ease of operation, flexibility and maintainability. If deciding between an out-of-the-box automation package and an integrated industrial robot system, ask yourself these questions:
- If the parts change, can you easily adapt the system?
- Is it possible to add a gauge or part marker later?
- How can you address a future part orientation requirement?
- If future parts require a turnover or other maneuver, will you need to add special devices?
- Are replacement parts readily available anywhere in the world that you may need them?
- Are parts standard and commercially available in North America?
- Do you know the OEM source, part, description and number? Can you buy them directly from the OEM or a local stocking distributor?
- Are part drawings for fabricated parts included in the documentation, or will you need to reverse engineer or repurchase them?
Gosiger Automation provides everything you need to quickly and easily adapt to production changes and to insure the performance of your system throughout its lifetime.
Return On Investment
Dollar and cents examples of how robotic automation provides excellent ROI
Gosiger Automation Products & Services
Standard robotic systems, complete custom solutions and ala carte services
Case Studies & Videos
See for yourself how our customers benefit from robotic automation solutions
To learn more contact Gosiger Automation.