One of the most unpleasant tasks a manager or shop owner faces is dealing with problem employees. In a more perfect world we’d all come to work with the desire to do our best to help our companies succeed. In fact, most employees do just that. Sure, we all have those days when we’re not at our best, but most of us take pride in our work, so long as it’s appreciated.
Unfortunately, there are exceptions:
- The Prima Donnas who think they’re better than their co-workers and should be treated “special”
- The Drama Queens who throw tantrums whenever something goes wrong
- The Specialists whose mantra is “That’s not my job”
- Houdini – the worker who has mastered the art of disappearing from his or her work area and magically reappearing just before quitting time
- Mr. or Ms. Innocent who is never at fault, never takes responsibility, but always finds something or someone to blame when things go wrong